[openstack-dev] RFC: Basic definition of OpenStack Programs and first batch

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Jul 1 16:41:53 UTC 2013

Monty Taylor wrote:
> So I think that tying a definition directly to whether or not there is a
> release artifact or when that gets produced is missing the point and
> wrong. The point is that there are _efforts_ that we want to address,
> and those efforts may not have a clear cut simple "main" source code
> repository.

I can certainly agree that all those things are efforts which may or may
not produce stuff that may or may not be part of the "integrated" subset
of the things we end up publishing.

The two reason why I was trying to draw a line in the sand between
"Projects" and "Programs" was that:

(1) "Projects" are mentioned in the TC charter (and the foundation
bylaws), so they are not going away easily.. hence me trying to preserve
them while introducing Programs

(2) "Projects" go through Incubation, while "Programs" don't need any
incubation period. (They go through incubation because they are part of
the "integrated release", which is not everything we release, but the
subset of stuff we publish on a 6-month release cadence. They go through
incubation so that we can make sure their addition will not screw up
existing "integrated" projects and they are actually "integrated" with
the other projects. They go through incubation so that we can make sure
they can fit in the stable maintenance, vulnerability management and
release management processes.)

What would be your alternate definition ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)