[openstack-dev] [cinder] Propose to add copying the reference images when creating a volume

Mate Lakat mate.lakat at citrix.com
Mon Jul 1 08:18:08 UTC 2013

Hi,

I just proposed a patch for the boot_from_volume_exercise.sh to get rid
of --image. To be honest, I did not look at the various execution paths.
My initial thought is that boot from volume means you boot from volume.
If you only have a kernel + ramdisk image, I simply assumed that you
can't do it.

I would not do any magic. Boot from volume should boot from volume. If
you only have 3 part images, you need to find another way to prepare
your bootable volume.

btw, here is my change:

https://review.openstack.org/34761

Cheers,
Mate

On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 01:25:23AM -0400, Sheng Bo Hou wrote:
> Hi Cinder folks,
>
> I am currently fixing the bugs related to booting the instance from the
> volume. I found there are bugs both in Nova and
> Cinder.
>
> Cinder: https://bugs.launchpad.net/cinder/+bug/1159824
> Nova: https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1191069
>
> For the volumes created from the image, I propose to copy the reference
> image during the creation of
> the main image. For example, an image may refer to a kernel image and a
> ramdisk image. When we create a volume
> from this image, we only copied this one to the volume. The kernel and
> ramdisk images are still in glance, and
> the volume still refers to the kernel and ramdisk images.
>
> I think if an image has other reference images, the reference images also
> need to be copied to the volumes(kernel volume and ramdisk volume),
> and then set the volume referring to the kernel volume and the ramdisk
> volume. This feature will make booting from
> a volume completely independent of the existence of the glance image.
>
> Do you think we can firstly add this feature to cinder? Do folks have any
> comments on it?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best wishes,
> Vincent Hou (侯胜博)
>
> Staff Software Engineer, Open Standards and Open Source Team, Emerging
> Technology Institute, IBM China Software Development Lab
>
> Tel: 86-10-82450778 Fax: 86-10-82453660
> Notes ID: Sheng Bo Hou/China/IBM at IBMCN    E-mail: sbhou at cn.ibm.com
> Address:3F Ring, Building 28 Zhongguancun Software Park, 8 Dongbeiwang
> West Road, Haidian District, Beijing, P.R.C.100193
> 地址:北京市海淀区东北旺西路8号中关村软件园28号楼环宇大厦3层 邮编:100193

Mate Lakat