[openstack-dev] [Keystone] Federated Identity Management and user creation

David Chadwick d.w.chadwick at kent.ac.uk
Thu Jan 31 22:34:29 UTC 2013

On 31/01/2013 20:09, Dolph Mathews wrote:
> I'd be more interested in the impact of not providing a user ID in the
> authentication response at all, but instead having a privileged call in
> keystone to *attempt* to lookup the user associated with a token, if one
> exists.

I am not saying that a keystone user ID should not be there in the
token, but rather that authz should not be based on it, since the id may
be transient. The keystone user ID is probably needed in order to look
up the user in keystone's database.

In an earlier posting (to Matt Joyce on 25 jan) I suggested what the
contents of an extensible keystone token should be, and the user ID was
there.

> Swift wouldn't be able to define ACL's by user_id,

that's correct. Because the keystone user_id is not an identity
attribute of the user. Its simply a handle to hang the identity
attributes from, and it might be a transient id.

our 3-step
> authentication flow would have to change (GET /users/{user_id}/projects
> wouldn't be viable for users that don't know their own user_id)... can't
> think of anything else...

However the user_id can still be used to pick up the user's identity
(authz) attributes such as projects and roles. So authz can still be
effectively achieved

regards

David