[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer][Metering] Metadata on Meter table - use cases from StackTach ...

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at rackspace.com
Thu Jan 31 13:09:37 UTC 2013

On 01/30/2013 03:02 PM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 30 2013, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>
>> StackTach is answering questions we aren't, yet, like "how long did an
>> operation take?", "what actually happened during processing of the
>> request?", etc. I think we would benefit from adding at least some of that
>> to ceilometer, particularly for SLA auditing. I agree with Angus'
>> suggestion of adding new models, though, rather than trying to squeeze it
>> into the existing data model as Sandy seems to be suggesting in the video.
>> We would also likely want a new API endpoint for querying the new types of
>> data.
>
> Err. You're describing a different project doing something totally
> different than what Ceilometer currently does, where the only common
> point with Ceilometer is that it consumes notifications.
> So I don't think we disagree here. This has nothing to do with the
> current state of what Ceilometer is.

Well, we're not really talking about CM as it is today, we're talking
about what it wants to be when it grows up. Yes, it will take time to
get there, but that had to be expected once the doors were opened for
other projects to come join?

The delta from pure metrics to richer data types and supporting proper
archiving isn't that great ... and honestly, I think anything less has
little value beyond the most trivial deployments. In fact I would even
go so far to say that archiving should be the prime driver and
aggregation/query layer on top of that.

First, store it. Then, be able to query for it. Then, add value to it.

($0.02)

> Blending a new project doing that under the Ceilometer name is likely
> extending again the scope of our project somehow (not that I'm against
> it).

Yep

-S