[openstack-dev] rxtx factor in instance types

Jason Kölker jason at koelker.net
Thu Jan 31 06:46:15 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 8:32 PM, Vishvananda Ishaya
<vishvananda at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is used to generate the rxtx_cap in the network_info cache which is in
> turn used to generate qos params in xenapi in:
>
> ~/os/nova/nova/virt/xenapi/vif.py
>
> I don't believe it is used in the other drivers at all.
>
> tr3buchet or _cerberus_ might be able to add a bit more detail

Yea, we pass it over to quantum from our custom network manager so the
quantum plugin we use can set the right qos pool for the port.

The general idea was the larger the instance the larger the "slice" of
bandwidth you should get so in the instance types its specified as a
factor that is multiplied by a rate somewhere (for us that's in the
quantum plugin we are using) to get the eventual cap. In the
non-quantum world that's at
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/network/manager.py#L1208.
I do not belieb the quantum2/api in nova does anything with it yet.

Happy Hacking!

7-11