[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] [Metering] BP for new Ceilometer Agent(less) framework ...

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Jan 30 14:26:33 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 30 2013, Sandy Walsh wrote:

> There may be a terminology issue here too. I think of an Agent as
> something deployed on the service node, while a Worker can be deployed
> anywhere. I think for most cases, the Central "Agent" can be deployed
> anywhere and make remote calls to the service in question.

What we call agent is something doing polling (because sometimes you
have to poll!).
We don't have something named worker, we just have the collector that
matches your description I think.

> Yes, it was discussed, but I still don't think the arguments are valid
> (for hypervisor/nova related things anyway). There's nothing the compute
> agent currently does that can't be handled in notifications. And I know
> the ops guys don't want to have to deploy more stuff on the compute nodes.
>
> That's the whole purpose of this discussion, to reiterate that the
> existing method is overkill.

Fine with me. You might want to pull other Nova guys in then, if that's
necessary. :)

> It's twofold:
> 1. fix the notification data in Nova so that libvirt matches xen (or
> vice-versa)
> 2. ditch the compute agent in favor of a pure notification-based
> worker.

Yup. As wrote, I think we all agreed on #2 anyway a long time ago for
that part. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will jump in. :)

--
Julien Danjou
;; Free Software hacker & freelance