[openstack-dev] blueprint amqp-rpc-fast-reply-queue

Ray Pekowski pekowski at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 06:23:30 UTC 2013

This is in regards to the comments in the code review for this blueprint:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/19721/

This blueprint is blocked primarily due to backward compatibility issues.
Russell Bryant posted in a different thread that RPC features are typically
added in two releases.  The first to enable the receiving of message having
the new feature.  The second to enable the sending of messages having the
new feature.

My biggest concern is I don't want to wait two releases.  I propose that we
add an unsupported option "unsupported_amqp_rpc_single_reply_queue" which
enables this performance improvement feature.  This option would not be
documented.  It would be removed from the next release when the feature
becomes always enabled.

This solution would also allow me to accept Eric's suggestion to use the
msg_id as in prior releases, as the unique identifier of the message, since
backward compatibility is maintained by hiding the feature in the initial
release.

Is this an acceptable compromise?

Ray