[openstack-dev] Motion on Technical Committee membership for Spring 2013 session

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Fri Jan 25 21:05:30 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 3:15 PM, Chuck Thier <cthier at gmail.com> wrote:

> > As I said earlier, I was worried that without any checks and balances
> > important groups within the community (smaller projects, non-code
> > contributors, users, etc.) would not have sufficient representation.
> Based
> > on some offline discussions, I am more confident that the election system
> > will help address these issues. Given that, and the simplicity of a
> straight
> > election for all 13 members over trying to ensure a minimum number of
> PTLs,
> > I think we should go ahead with the originally proposed change to the
> rules.
>
> Hi Doug,
>
> Would you mind sharing these revelations from these offline
> discussions with the rest of the list, so that the rest of us may be
> similarly persuaded?

I looked into concordant voting, and it seems to address my concerns about
the disproportionate representation of larger projects by its very nature.
Thierry also pointed out that in previous elections, cross-project
candidates have won out over more focused candidates in part because of the
voting system. I also discussed the situation with some of my coworkers,
and we came up with several other proposals (variations on restricting who
can vote or who can run, for example) that all proved untenable for one
reason or another.

So, some of my initial concerns were based on faulty understanding and
after more focused consideration I decided the proposal did not have the
faults I had originally thought it did.

Doug