[openstack-dev] Motion on Technical Committee membership for Spring 2013 session

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jan 25 13:03:22 UTC 2013

Chuck Thier wrote:
> The reality is
> that with the proposed option, only members of the largest project(s)
> will get elected, and the view of the TC will continue to narrow
> around the needs of one world view.  What the TC needs more, is a
> diverse set of opinions and views, and I believe the option proposed
> by Anne would provide a much better framework to support that.

I wish you had commented on the options earlier in the original thread,
but that's a fair point. Diversity is a valid concern.

That's what option (4) was addressing: limit the committee growth while
still ensuring representation from various projects.

Let me repeat what that option was:

"Limit the TC to 13 members, have them all directly-elected, *and*
guarantee that a minimum of 8 PTLs end up in the committee"

It looks like this would address your concern: ensuring a minimum of
diversity is present in the resulting committee, while proactively
addressing the growth issue before it becomes a factor in
accepting/rejecting new projects. It's also the smallest change from the
current situation (we keep a 8PTL+5 committee).

It was my preferred option, but consensus seemed to be (at that point)
that the added complexity in election setup was not compensated by clear
benefits. But further discussion proved that diversity is a concern, so
I'm happy to propose that option instead. I really would prefer general
consensus on that change.

Anne, John, Doug, Chuck: Would that be agreeable to you ? If not, why not ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)