[openstack-dev] [Keystone] Domains, Projects, and Groups are all collections

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Wed Jan 23 20:23:31 UTC 2013

On 01/23/2013 03:14 PM, David Chadwick wrote:
> Hi Adam
>
> at one conceptual level they are all the same, in that they are all
> user attributes. But at another conceptual level they are quite
> different, and this is whether permissions are attached to them or not
> by cloud service providers. Currently groups are not known by CSPs and
> users do not gain any privileges by being a member of a group. They
> only inherit a privilege when the group is mapped to a role (which
> does have privileges assigned to it by policy rules).
>
> In some research papers this is referred to as organisational roles
> and workflow roles, and they should be kept separate for very good
> reasons (which I can enumerate later if you wish). The later have
> privileges, the former only get them by either role mapping or CSPs
> becoming aware of them and adding privileges to them. Groups were
> added precisely because they were organisational roles and required
> different workflow roles and privileges for different cloud services.
>
> What we should be trying to avoid doing is creating all these new
> tables for new types of attribute as it creates a lot of extra work.
> On my reckoning you have doubled the number of special tables for
> these attributes between v2 and v3 as you have gone from tenants and
> roles in V2, to project, groups, domains and roles in V3. This is
> clearly unsustainable as a way forward, when other types of attributes
> can already be envisaged (e.g. location for location based services,
> age for age related services etc.)
>
> So I agree that you should try to have one type of table, say called
> attribute, but with slightly different columns to what you are
> proposing (might I add that this is what we have already done in our
> attribute mapping APIs). The columns I suggest are
>
> Table name = Attribute
> id: the unique primary key
> Attribute name: (user friendly name e.g. role, domain, etc.)
> Attribute Ref: (global id of attribute such as OID or URL, as used by
> SAML and LDAP)
> Attribute value: (the value of the attribute e.g. Admin)
> Type: (workflow or organisational)
>
> In addition you could have an optional description if you think it is
> necessary and an enabled boolean if for some reason you want to
> deactivate an attribute
>
> I dont see why you need a parent unless you are going to support
> attribute hierarchies. Or maybe it is linked to the local naming of
> the attributes?

I am a little uncomfortable with limiting the term attribute to things
that could be held in this table.  There are attributes of the user
object that should be in the user table, and so forth.

I would agree that assign a user a role in some grouping, whether
workflow or organizational, is an attribute assignment.  Selecting which
attributes can be used for authorization purposes is part of what
Keystone does, and the dominant attribute for authN is named roles.   I
think this maps fairly cleanly to your attribute model.

Users, Groups and projects are owned by a domain.  This is an attribute
hierarchy.  We just define it to be a very shallow one.