[openstack-dev] [Scheduler] VM Ensembles blueprint

Gary Kotton gkotton at redhat.com
Wed Jan 23 16:35:50 UTC 2013

Hi,

Following the proposal for VM ensembles, we drafted the blueprint
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/vm-ensembles
<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/vm-ensembles>. At the
moment this is pending approval. How do we go about getting the approval?

The blueprint enables OpenStack to deploy mission critical applications
that are highly available. The proposed functionality cannot be achieved
by making use of the existing scheduler hints.

The work plan is as follows:
     - *Stage 0*: refactor instance validation code (approved)
     - *Stage 1*:  at the moment run_instance passes the VM details to
the scheduler. the idea here was to pass an array of details. this will
leave us with the same API and just change the parameters passed. the
scheduler will treat the input accordingly - if there is one entry then
proceed with the existing flow. if there are more then it will invoke
the group scheduling (this is the current patch set).
     -*Stage 2*: implement the group scheduling (currently writing unit
tests for this)
     - *Stage 3*: implement and extension that enables a user to pass a
group to nova

Please note that there will be no database changes. In stage 3 we will
make use of the meta data to store the VM groups. This will help with
debugging and moving forward.

Thanks
Gary