[openstack-dev] New python dependency - extras-0.0.1

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Tue Jan 15 15:33:45 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

I missed this thread initially. A month later when the new python-extras code hit Quantum I thought it was a bit overkill as well so I did this (which has now landed):

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/19646/

> >> This seems like a good compromise to forcing you (and others) to
> >> package something not everybody really agrees on.
> >
> > testtools, which is already a dependency, will start depending on
> > extras in a release or so (giving folk time to package it). So you
> > won't avoid any packaging work by copying it into oslo - but you
> > will
> > incur technical debt by copying the code.

One fine point I would make about the teststools dependency (if/when it does happen)... this is a test time dependency and would only need to go in tools/test-requires. So there is still benefit in avoiding the use of python-extra's in our runtime code (users won't have to maintain/deploy the "extra" package).

> It's just that python-extras pushed the boundaries
> on naming, size and even need.
>
> Naming is too generic great as mentioned before.
> Size is tiny, so separation cost may outweigh advantages.
> Need may be short term too. If tools progress
> to handling this common renaming pattern, the need diminishes
> .
> Maybe testtools could continue as it does now,
> and in future if a separate try_import() is needed,
> then it can take it from the standard lib or
> somewhere else more cohesive and substantive.

++ I fully agree.