[openstack-dev] A new nova service? nova-periodic?

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon Jan 14 10:55:12 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 9:44 PM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:

[snip]

> For example in the libvirt driver we use a threadpool for running the
> native API calls to avoid blocking eventlet. This doc
>
>   doc/source/devref/threading.rst
>
> indicates that DB calls used to do the same thing, but apparently don't
> anymore. That said, this may be solved with most of the DB calls being
> removed due to nodb-compute blueprint. There could be other areas that
> would benefit from a threadpool though

So the current big use case for this is in the libvirt driver. The
image cache manager needs to do a lot of file IO, and it locks up the
main thread while it does that. If your images are really large, then
it locks the world up for a really long time. Now, the initial
proposal for that was to put a heap of yields into the code that did
the IO, but we didn't like that, so this code started out as a way of
exploring how to solve the problem without yielding. It should be
noted this all came about at the request of Yahoo! who had performance
problems because of this IO load. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the
image cache manager is the only "external capable" periodic task at
the moment, but I am sure there could be more.

> If threadpools don't suffice, rather than introducing explicit new user
> visible binaries, it may be preferrable to just have the main binary
> fork() some dedicated processes for periodic tasks. Alternatively it
> may actually be preferrable to fork() 'n' complete nova-compute services,
> one for each logical CPU in the host to maximise scaling across the
> entire service, not merely periodic tasks.

That's a reasonable plan, but its not incompatible with the current
review. forking() at the start of nova-compute would be a relatively
small change from the current implementation. However, I'd rather this
discussion include concrete alternatives. So -- do people prefer that
approach to another binary? I don't really mind if they do, but why?

> Or maybe nova-periodic is the right idea after all - I'm just not sure
> based on the limit info presented thus far.

What other information would you like to see? This thread has
contained the entire debate so far.

Michael