[openstack-dev] [Scheduler] New scheduler feature - VM Ensembles

Gary Kotton gkotton at redhat.com
Fri Jan 11 11:58:52 UTC 2013

On 01/10/2013 04:42 PM, Alex Glikson wrote:
> Steven Hardy <shardy at redhat.com> wrote on 10/01/2013 02:17:26 PM:
> > On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 07:00:17PM +0000, JC Martin wrote:
> >
> > [...] but I would prefer that the basic notion of VM
> > group be implemented in Nova, with the right scheduling support, so
> > that it can be available without having Heat deployed and can also
> > be exposed in Horizon more easily.
> >
> > It seems to me that most of what you propose could be achieved with the
> > addition of "instance groups" to nova, combined with some new scheduler
> > hints which allow you to specify instance anti-affinity for hosts,
> > host-aggregates or availability zones.
>
> +1
> Definitely, the ability to express groups of instances is important,
> but it would make sense at least to start with a more simplistic
> approach, like the one proposed above.
> We would be interested to contribute to development of such a feature.

Thanks for the comments. It will be great to work together on the
proposal. In the past I saw that there was an Orchestration meeting held
by Sandy Walsh. I am not sure if this is still functional - it would
enable us to discuss and collaborate. Lets discuss and see how we can
proceed with the implementation.