[openstack-dev] Dependency version pinning [was Re: Pyparsing 2.0 breaking jenkins jobs]

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Wed Feb 27 19:43:35 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote:

> On 02/27/2013 01:38 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
> > On 02/27/2013 12:33 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> >>
> >> That would be a partial fix, but we would also have to ensure that all
> >> dependencies declare the version of Python they support. Not impossible,
> >> but not automatic, either.
> >>
> >> Doug
> >
> > I definitely realize that we are beyond scope of solvable problems in
> > OpenStack, however with python going through a major incompatible
> > upgrade in the language, we can't be the only project where this lack of
> > enforcing what version code works with is causing breaks.

I suspect that the combination of our extensive dependency list and strict
gating may be resulting in this being more of an issue for us than most
other projects, though. That's not to say the policies are bad, but it may
mean we need to do more to contribute fixes (and requirements definitions)
upstream.

> > Various respected python community members, it would be really awesome
> > to solve this as a root issue, get pypi to not allow uploads that don't
> > specify, and have it be part of the installer. Would be good for
> > everyone, not just OpenStack.
>
> Python is talking about serveral major upgrades to PyPI - I'll toss this
> one in the mix.

+1 Participating in the packaging summit at PyCon in a few weeks should go
a long way.

Doug