[openstack-dev] [keystone] re-ordering of schema migrations

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Feb 27 15:50:45 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-02-27 at 14:40 +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-02-27 at 08:09 -0600, Dolph Mathews wrote:
> > This was discussed in #openstack-dev, as I recall.
>
> I see this:
>
>   http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-dev/%23openstack-dev.2013-01-16.log
>   2013-01-16T16:41:09  <dolphm> henrynash: i assume my change needs to
>   come in the migration sequence ahead of yours, correct?
>
> and no discussion about impact on people's ability to upgrade.

Ok, apparently it was discussed on a different review:

  https://review.openstack.org/21951

  ayoung: You cannot add the constraint in an old upgrade. Once an
  upgrade is in the tree, any changes to the schema have to happen in a
  new upgrade.

  dolphm: on the block, I'm not aware of anyone doing continuous
  deployment of keystone (are you?), so I'm comfortable revising our
  recent migration history (between named releases).

I guess I'm surprised to think that individual projects would think
they'd have their own policy on this sort of stuff rather than it being
a cross-project policy, but it's reassuring to see that the problem was
at least considered and discussed.

Cheers,
Mark.