[openstack-dev] [quantum] Security groups egress default behaviour

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Tue Feb 26 17:13:20 UTC 2013

Hi Tomoe,

Yes, my understanding of what Amazon does is that each VPC security group
is automatically configured with an explicit "allow all outbound" rule.  I
assume Amazon did this so that that VPC groups were implicitly backward
compatible with non-VCP security groups, which perform no egress filtering.
 However, if you remove this rule and have a truly empty egress group, all
packets will be dropped, which makes the default-deny semantics symmetric
across both ingress + egress rules.

I personally like the trade-off amazon made here and I think it makes sense
to do something similar in Quantum.

dan

Dan Wendlandt
Nicira, Inc: www.nicira.com