[openstack-dev] Volume Encryption

Paul Sarin-Pollet psarpol at gmx.com
Tue Feb 19 11:45:07 UTC 2013

Concerning the data encryption, I have several point I'd like to talk about with the community :
- Data encryption can be made at several places in an openstack deployment :
 - at the different level in the openstack software (NOVA, CINDER, SWIFT)
 - directly in the host operating system, at the boot time
 - other (hardware level, …)
- An advantage of an openstack encryption is that it can be a customer option
- An advantage of an openstack encryption is that tou can get a new key for each new cinder lvm volume. But is it really an advantage for data protection ?
- The advantage of a host operating system encryption is that the service provider can protect their own databases, not only the customer's
A centralized key manager should be a good solution for an openstack and an operating system level encryption. It should have :
- a specific API
- a keystone compatible authentication module
- a key storage plugin
 - a database implementation of the plugin
 - a kmip implementation of the plugin
- a client usable by openstack modules and directly by operating system start script
Paul