[openstack-dev] [Quantum] L3 agent limitation -- importing / pointing to existing device interfaces as Quantum ports ?

Florian Daniel Otel florian.otel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 12:07:47 UTC 2013

Hello all,

Frist, a caveat: This might be as well my limited understanding, but
despite my efforts I haven't been able to find any better. Please
advise otherwise.

My problem stems from what I consider a limitation in current L3-agent
functionality wrt external connectivity.

In particular, the "router-gateway-set" command: AFAICT it
_automatically_ creates a NAT interface on the external network and
_automatically_  assigns it an IP address from that space (namely, the
first one available from the pool of external addresses).

Given the peculiarities of my setup I would like to have more granular
control over that process. Namely, when defining a NAT gateway to an
external network I would like to point to a pre-existing device
interface -- and it's existing IP address--  to assume that role. That
instead of the above functionality, which _creates_ an interfaces and
assigns it a (new) IP address.

While I understand that functionality might imply different steps   --
e.g. ability to "import an underlying device interface as a port" in
Quantum prior to pointing to that Quantum "port" as the NAT gateway --
the overall functionality question still stands.

Please advise if:

1) This can be achieved somehow using existing code.

2) Is this something that is -- or will be -- addressed somehow. If
yes, please point me to the appropriate pointers.

Thanks,

Florian