[openstack-dev] RFC: Classnames in config parameters harmful to users / upgrades

Caitlin Bestler caitlin.bestler at nexenta.com
Wed Feb 6 21:41:05 UTC 2013

On 2/6/2013 1:31 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> Entry points takes care of all of this. The code can live anywhere,
> and each entry point gets a nice, short, unique name to use in the
> configuration file. Developers can point to anything they want, and
> non-developers don't have to know class names. We all win.
>
> Doug

Entry points are certainly  more user friendly than raw classnames, but
they are still an intrusion of internal architecture
into the user domain. It is still making the user think of processing
steps, rather than just objects to be stored.

It may be sufficiently friendly that it is better than having two layers
of configuration, but better labeling of the pipes
does not change the fact that you are asking the end user to understand
the plumbing.