[openstack-dev] Copyright guidance

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Feb 6 16:05:29 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-02-05 at 16:12 -0600, Anne Gentle wrote:
> After patching with some updates around the new year [1] [2] [3], and
> learning we needed more clarity around copyright statements in source code
> files, I got guidance from Lisa Miller, one of the Foundation's corporate
> attorneys.
>
> I've created a new wiki page with this guidance at:
> http://wiki.openstack.org/Documentation/Copyright
>
> Basically, when a new year rolls around, we don't need to update all
> copyrights. When you update or add a doc file, it's fine to add the year.
> Generally leave copyright statements in place, and add your own if you feel
> so led. All references to "OpenStack LLC" can be changed to "OpenStack
> Foundation" because the copyright was transferred when the new entity was
> created.
>
> I think the wiki page answers other questions you may have but feel free to
> ask questions as you update files. We don't need an overarching guidance
> from the TC about the contents of the headers, individual PTLs can decide,
> but please do adhere to the guidelines for updates.

Thanks Anne, this all makes sense to me.

There's a tiny potential source of confusion here, though. The way the
"OpenStack LLC notice" section is worded, I think someone reading
quickly might think they should *add* a OpenStack Foundation copyright
notice to all files.

That's not the case - the only copyright the Foundation will have over
content will be (a) work that was done by Rackspace employees and the
copyright assigned to its subsidiary, OpenStack LLC and (b) work done by
OpenStack Foundation employees.

Cheers,
Mark.