[openstack-dev] Changes to gate-tempest-devstack-vm Jenkins jobs

Clark Boylan clark.boylan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 21:27:34 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 9:32 AM, Dan Smith <danms at us.ibm.com> wrote:
>> The problem with this is syslog compresses tracebacks onto a single line
>> and truncates them. If we are depending on syslog only can we up the max
>> message size so we can still see the full traceback?
>

> Yeah, and personally, seeing them separately is much more helpful for a lot
> of things.
>
> Could we either disable logging to syslog or scrape out the lines that match
> a pattern we know will be captured in the screen logs to reduce the
> duplication?
>
> --
> Dan Smith
> IBM Linux Technology Center

We are increasing the rsyslog $MaxMessageSize on our slaves to 64k. It
is annoying that syslog compresses tracebacks into a single line and
having log data separated by service is often useful. The current
setup (with larger message size) should hold us over reasonably well
without interrupting the gate while we sort out a better long term
solution to this problem. I would like Jim Blair to be involved in
that planning, but he is on vacation this week. I will definitely
bring this up with him when he is back so that we can work on a
solution that makes everybody (or at least most people) happy.

Clark