[openstack-dev] [quantum] executing shell commands on a tenant's VM

Oleg Bondarev obondarev at mirantis.com
Mon Feb 4 13:06:58 UTC 2013

Hi guys,

Within LBaaS effort we need to configure HAProxy service which is running on
one of tenant's VMs in a certain subnet.

Initially we were planning to configure two interfaces on such HAProxy VMs -
one for tenant network and other for provider network - thus having an
ability to simply reach the VM by ssh using an ip from provider network.

But finally we found this way inappropriate because it overloads provider
network and provides an ability to a tenant to access provider network which
is not good as well.

So I'd like to find a proper way of reaching tenant's VM to be able to
execute commands on it.

In Quantum code I found that it can be done by using 'ip netns exec'
(quantum/debug/debug_agent.py: QuantumDebugAgent.exec_command()) which is
close to what I need. Are there any better ways to do it in quantum?

Thanks,

Oleg