[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Allow multiple subnets on gateway port for router

Randy Tuttle randy.m.tuttle at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 16:43:50 UTC 2013

Hi Nir

Good question. There's absolutely no reason not to allow more than 2
subnets, or even 2 of the same IP versions on the gateway port. In fact, in
our POC we allowed this (or, more specifically, we did not disallow it).
However, for the gateway port to the provider's next-hop router, we did not
have a specific use case beyond an IPv4 and an IPv6. Moreover, in Neutron
today, only a single subnet is allowed per interface (either v4 or v6). So
all we are doing is opening up the gateway port to support what it does
today (i.e., v4 or v6) plus allow IPv4 and IPv6 subnets to co-exist on the
gateway port (and same network/vlan). Our principle use case is to enable
IPv6 in an existing IPv4 environment.

Do you have a specific use case requiring 2 or more of the same
IP-versioned subnets on a gateway port?

Thanks
Randy