[openstack-dev] [All] tagged commit messages

Kevin L. Mitchell kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com
Mon Dec 30 19:44:48 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-12-30 at 11:04 +0100, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> I like the idea of having custom tags. I'm a bit concerned about the
> implications this might have with cross-project collaborations. I
> mean, people contributing to more projects will have to be aware of
> the many possible differences in this area.
>
> That being said, I can think of some cases where we this could be
> useful for other projects. However, I'd encourage to keep common tags
> documented somewhere, perhaps this common tags shouldn't be part of
> the `Tags:` 'field', which you already mentioned above.

If I may be allowed a tangent—should a mechanism external to the commit
message be allowed for attaching a tag to a review?  Consider the recent
ext3/ext4 change: a reviewer could browse that and say, "This should
have a DeploymentImpact tag."  With the tags as so far described in this
thread, that has to be something added by the submitter (or a new
version of the patch uploaded by a reviewer).  Can we create a mechanism
that would allow a reviewer to attach such a tag without having to
modify any part of the review?  Can the mechanism allow such an
attachment even if the review has already been merged?

Just something to think about :)
--
Kevin L. Mitchell <kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com>
Rackspace