[openstack-dev] [nova] - Revert change of default ephemeral fs to ext4

Day, Phil philip.day at hp.com
Sun Dec 29 08:12:50 UTC 2013

Hi Folks,

As highlighted in the thread "minimal review period for functional changes" I'd like to propose that change is https://review.openstack.org/#/c/63209/ is reverted because:

-          It causes inconsistent behaviour in the system, as any existing "default" backing files will have ext3 in them, so a VM will now get either ext3 or 3ext4 depending on whether the host they get created on already has a backing file of the required size or not.   I don't think the existing design ever considered the default FS changing - maybe we shouldn't have files that include "default" as the file system type if it can change over time, and the name should always reflect the FS type.

-          It introduces a new a new requirement for GuestOS's to have to support ext4 in order to work with the default configuration.   I think that's a significant enough change that it needs to be flagged, discussed, and planned.

I'm about to go off line for a few days and won't have anything other than patchy e-mail access, otherwise I'd submit the change myself ;-)

Phil