[openstack-dev] [OpenStack][Nova][API] Still need to update v2 API in Icehouse release

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 13:12:03 UTC 2013

On Dec 27, 2013 4:02 AM, "Jay Lau" <jay.lau.513 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Joe.
>
> Still have another question, for which case shall we need to add new
extension to the v2 AP? If freeze the v2 api at icehouse-2, then does it
mean that we are not allowed to make any changes to v2 api? All api changes
should go to v3 directly, right?

Yes, once v2 is frozen all changes should go into v3 only.  As for when is
a new v2 extension allowed, like anything that is frozen we can have
exceptions. But if you submit a v3 patch you should never be required to
add a v2 extension to that patch.

> Thanks,
>
> Jay
>

> 2013/12/27 Joe Gordon <joe.gordon0 at gmail.com>
>>

>> On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 1:03 AM, Jay Lau <jay.lau.513 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> In Icehouse development, do we have some guidelines for nova api
change? If I want to make some changes for nova api, do I need to update
both v2 and v3 or just v3?

>> For every new extension to the v2 API we require the equivalent change
to the v3 api, so that there is nothing in v2 that V3 doesn't support. But
requiring the opposite doesn't make any sense to me, and seems like a waste
of human resources.

>> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/icehouse-summit-nova-v3-api says we
want to freeze the v2 api at icehouse-2, a plan which I full support.

>>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/52867/