[openstack-dev] [Tempest][Solum] Writing functional tests in tempest style

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 22:50:53 UTC 2013

On 12/26/2013 03:34 PM, Georgy Okrokvertskhov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In Solum project we decided to write functional\integration tests from
> the very beginning.

++! :)

 > Initially we used pecan testing framework, but after
> discussion we moved to standard HTTP client approach used in other
> projects. In order to simplify further integration with Tempest when
> Solum will apply for incubation, we started to think how to write
> functional test cases to minimize efforts for tempest integration in the
> future.
>
> After some learning of tempest code we figured out that direct usage of
> existing tempest code will be overcomplicated at this stage.

Yes, because unfortunately at this time, Tempest does not have a Python
lib that can be import'd and used easily by other projects. We really
should have such a thing, to make adding functional integration tests to
non-integrated projects like Solum easier.

 > We decided
> to use tempest approach and part of tempest framework independently from
> tempest itself.
> Here is a patch with the example how we use tempest approach by
> extracting core tempest parts and using them independently.
>   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/64165/ <
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/64165/>
>
> It will be great to have some feedback from tempest team. If this
> approach is valid it can be used by other projects who want to write
> tempest like tests without having whole huge tempest infrastructure.

I think the approach you've taken in the above review is the appropriate
one at this time. It will make eventual inclusion into tempest when/if
Solum is integrated quite easy.

> I think some part of tempest can be extracted and converted to some
> common testing framework, probably as a oslo library part.

++

Best,
-jay