[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] Complex query BP implementation

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Thu Dec 26 09:24:49 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 24 2013, Jay Pipes wrote:

> I think you may have switched the above? Do you mean POST for sanity (short
> URLs) and GET for compatibility/standards?

I don't think so, but maybe my sentence wasn't clear, sorry.

I meant that in theory, the right verb to use would be GET as you
pointed out. However, since using GET with a body is not a common
practice, also supporting the POST verb as a replacement is a good idea
for compatibility.

> Can you elaborate why this is not something Ceilometer would be interested
> in supporting? Would you prefer this kind of thing live in some other
> component?

I don't think there's any gain in storing data that are tight to a
consumer application. Storing and retrieving this kind of data, and then
executing this as a higher cost than just executing a query.

Storing this kind of data to be executed later looks to me like we would
start building some sort of light PaaS platform. I really don't think
that's needed at this stage.

--
Julien Danjou
// Free Software hacker / independent consultant