[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Infra][qa][Tempest][Network] [Infra]Test for external connectivity

Yair Fried yfried at redhat.com
Wed Dec 25 13:58:23 UTC 2013

Hi,
I wanted to retrieve the gate's DNS server (or google's 8.8.8.8) in order to check external connectivity, but I've been told that I'm running the risk of getting the Jenkins gate blacklisted by either DNS server.
It was also brought to my attention, that testing actual external connectivity is not really helpful because my current test actually tests the external server's resolution ability and not the actual Openstack instance.

So Here's my question:
Infra - suppose that I can get devstack to configure it's own DNS server into tempest.conf (from resolve.conf), could I get the gate blacklisted for abusing the DNS (either local or google's)
Neutron/Tempest/Maru - What is there to gain from pinging an external address/url? Could pinging the public network's default GW be enough? Please take into account the fact that we now have CrossTenant test checking L3 routing

Yair