[openstack-dev] [Tempest][qa] Adding tags to commit messages

Masayuki Igawa masayuki.igawa at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 08:42:39 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Yair Fried <yfried at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Suggestion: Please consider tagging your Tempest commit messages the same way you do your mails in the mailing list
>
> Explanation: Since tempest is a single project testing multiple Openstack project we have a very diverse collection of patches as well as reviewers. Tagging our commit messages will allow us to classify patches and thus:
> 1. Allow reviewer to focus on patches related to their area of expertise
> 2. Track "trends" in patches - I think we all know that we lack in Neutron testing for example, but can we assess how many network related patches are for awaiting review
> 3. Future automation of flagging "interesting" patches
>
> You can usually tell all of this from reviewing the patch, but by then - you've spent time on a patch you might not even be qualified to review.
> I suggest we tag our patches with, to start with, the components we are looking to test, and the type of test (sceanrio, api, ...) and that reviewers should -1 untagged patches.
>
> I think the tagging should be the 2nd line in the message:
>
> ======================================
> Example commit message
>
> [Neutron][Nova][Network][Scenario]
>
> Explanation of how this scenario tests both Neutron and Nova
> Network performance
>
> Chang-id XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
> =======================================
>
> I would like this to start immediately but what do you guys think?

+1

And, how about do we the tagging about the services in the subject(1st line)?
For example:
  Neutron:Example commit subject

Because the dashboard of the gerrit shows the subject only now.
I think reviewers can find "interesting" patches easily if the
dashboard shows the tags.
This is not so strong opinion because some scenario tests may have
several services tags.

--
Masayuki Igawa