[openstack-dev] [Glance][Oslo] Pulling glance.store out of glance. Where should it live?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Dec 23 10:42:52 UTC 2013

Flavio Percoco wrote:
> On 21/12/13 00:41 -0500, Jay Pipes wrote:
>> Cinder is for block storage. Images are just a bunch of blocks, and
>> all the store drivers do is take a chunked stream of input blocks and
>> store them to disk/swift/s3/rbd/toaster and stream those blocks back
>> out again.
>>
>> So, perhaps the most appropriate place for this is in Cinder-land.
>
> This is an interesting suggestion.
>
> I wouldn't mind putting it there, although I still prefer it to be
> under glance for historical reasons and because Glance team knows that
> code.
>
> How would it work if this lib falls under Block Storage program?
>
> Should the glance team be added as core contributors of this project?
> or Just some of them interested in contributing / reviewing those
> patches?
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I'd like John and Mark to weigh in too.

Programs are a team of people on a specific mission. If the stores code
is maintained by a completely separate group (glance devs), then it
doesn't belong in the Block Storage program... unless the Cinder devs
intend to adopt it over the long run (and therefore the contributors of
the Block Storage program form a happy family rather than two separate
groups).

Depending on the exact nature of the "couple of other scenarios where
using this code is necessary", I think it would either belong in Glance
or in Oslo.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)