[openstack-dev] [Fuel-dev] [Fuel] [Oslo] Add APP-NAME (RFC5424) for Oslo syslog logging

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobrelia at mirantis.com
Mon Dec 23 09:51:56 UTC 2013

On 12/21/2013 11:20 AM, Sergey Vasilenko wrote:
> Do you offer patch system python in solution #2?

In solution 2, as you can see from
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/63094/11/openstack/common/log.py, we
define class
RFCSysLogHandler(logging.handlers.SysLogHandler) which overrides
 its base __init__ and format methods, by adding prefix to MSG part of
the message (the prefix represents APP-NAME field according to RFC5424):
msg = self.binary_name + ' ' + msg

Thus, w/o any Python system modifications, that change would backport
'ident' solution from Python 3.3
(http://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/6baa90fa2b6d), but for Oslo logging
only. And I don't see any
compatibility issues here.

In solution 1, we use context adapter instead, to allow user extending
log_format by %(binary_name)s as well. I'm not sure this method is good
though, because there might be some issues with middlewares (e.g. this
trace: http://paste.openstack.org/show/55519/), but probably it would be
OK for IceHouse, gonna test it on DevStack as well.

Stackers, please don't hesitate to discuss, which method we should use
to ensure RFC5424 would be honored, at least (and at last) for syslog
handler.

--
Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,