[openstack-dev] [neutron] packet forwarding

Pedro Roque Marques pedro.r.marques at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 01:50:00 UTC 2013

There are at least 3 types of solutions I'm aware of:
1) Using VLANs and physical or virtual-machine appliances that route packets between VLANs.
Tutorial:
http://developer.rackspace.com/blog/neutron-networking-vlan-provider-networks.html

2) Using an L2 overlay and virtual machines that route packets between VLANs. (e.g. OVS + neutron virtual-router)
Tutorial:
http://developer.rackspace.com/blog/neutron-networking-simple-flat-network.html

3) Using an L3 overlay that implements a distributed router. (e.g. OpenContrail)
Unfortunately i don't know of a tutorial that is has nice as the ones above... but you can glean some useful information from:
https://github.com/dsetia/devstack/blob/master/contrail/README and
http://pedrormarques.wordpress.com/2013/11/14/using-devstack-plus-opencontrail/

  Pedro.