[openstack-dev] [Nova] Default ephemeral filesystem

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Dec 19 20:21:54 UTC 2013

The default ephemeral filesystem in Nova is ext3 (for Linux). However
ext3 is IMNSHO a pretty poor choice given ext4's existence. I can
totally accept that other fs's like xfs might be contentious - but is
there any reason not to make ext4 the default?

I'm not aware of any distro that doesn't have ext4 support - even RHEL
defaults to ext4 in RHEL5.

The reason I'm raising this is that making a 1TB ext3 ephemeral volume
does (way) over 5GB of writes due to zeroing all the inode tables, but
an ext4 one does less than 1% of the IO - 14m vs 7seconds in my brief
testing. (We were investigating why baremetal deploys were slow :)).

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist