[openstack-dev] [nova] [neutron] PCI pass-through network support

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Thu Dec 19 12:56:59 UTC 2013

On 19 December 2013 12:54, John Garbutt <john at johngarbutt.com> wrote:
> On 19 December 2013 12:21, Ian Wells <ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> John:
>>>
>>> At a high level:
>>>
>>> Neutron:
>>> * user wants to connect to a particular neutron network
>>> * user wants a super-fast SRIOV connection
>>>
>>> Administration:
>>> * needs to map PCI device to what neutron network the connect to
>>>
>>> The big question is:
>>> * is this a specific SRIOV only (provider) network
>>> * OR... are other non-SRIOV connections also made to that same network
>>>
>>> I feel we have to go for that latter. Imagine a network on VLAN 42,
>>> you might want some SRIOV into that network, and some OVS connecting
>>> into the same network. The user might have VMs connected using both
>>> methods, so wants the same IP address ranges and same network id
>>> spanning both.
>>>

>>> If we go for that latter new either need:
>>> * some kind of nic-flavor
>>> ** boot ... -nic nic-id:"public-id:,nic-flavor:"10GBpassthrough"
>>> ** but neutron could store nic-flavor, and pass it through to VIF
>>> driver, and user says port-id
>>> * OR add NIC config into the server flavor
>>> ** extra spec to say, tell VIF driver it could use on of this list of
>>> PCI devices: (list pci-flavors)
>>> * OR do both
>>>
>>> I vote for nic-flavor only, because it matches the volume-type we have
>>> with cinder.
>>

>> I think the issue there is that Nova is managing the supply of PCI devices
>> (which is limited and limited on a per-machine basis).  Indisputably you
>> need to select the NIC you want to use as a passthrough rather than a vnic
>> device, so there's something in the --nic argument, but you have to answer
>> two questions:
>>
>> - how many devices do you need (which is now not a flavor property but in
>> the --nic list, which seems to me an odd place to be defining billable
>> resources)
>> - what happens when someone does nova interface-attach?
>
> Agreed.

Apologies, I misread what you put, maybe we don't agree...

I am just trying not to make a passthrough NIC and odd special case.

In my mind, it should just be a regular neturon port connection that
happens to be implemented using PCI passthrough.

I agree we need to sort out the scheduling of that, because its a
finite resource.