[openstack-dev] [Nova] [Ironic] Get power and temperature via IPMI

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 19:00:06 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 10:00 PM, Gao, Fengqian <fengqian.gao at intel.com>wrote:

>  Hi, all,
>
> I am planning to extend bp
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/utilization-aware-schedulingwith power and temperature. In other words, power and temperature can be
> collected and used for nova-scheduler just as CPU utilization.
>
> I have a question here. As you know, IPMI is used to get power and
> temperature and baremetal implements IPMI functions in Nova. But baremetal
> driver is being split out of nova, so if I want to change something to the
> IPMI, which part should I choose now? Nova or Ironic?

Hi!

A few thoughts... Firstly, new features should be geared towards Ironic,
not the nova baremetal driver as it will be deprecated soon (
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/deprecate-baremetal-driver).
That being said, I actually don't think you want to use IPMI for what
you're describing at all, but maybe I'm wrong.

When scheduling VMs with Nova, in many cases there is already an agent
running locally, eg. nova-compute, and this agent is already supplying
information to the scheduler. I think this is where the facilities for
gathering power/temperature/etc (eg, via lm-sensors) should be placed, and
it can reported back to the scheduler along with other usage statistics.

If you think there's a compelling reason to use Ironic for this instead of
lm-sensors, please clarify.

Cheers,
Devananda