[openstack-dev] [Heat] hybrid cloud & bursting question

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Wed Dec 18 18:10:24 UTC 2013

Excerpts from =?ks_c_5601-1987?B?wMzB2L/4?='s message of 2013-12-18 01:26:22 -0800:
> Hi, stackers,
>
> I know only little about Heat, and I can't wholly follow recent
> discussions around multi-region support in this mailing list.
> Please help me understand the roadmap or plan about hybrid cloud
> and "bursting" in particular.
>
> I'd like to ask the following questions to the developers who have
> the same interests.
>
> 1) Can we use Heat to deploy to the AWS using the same template
>    as in the OpenStack cloud?

"Sort of". If you stick to CloudFormation syntax then yes, that should
continue to work as long as cloudformation syntax is supported.

> 2) Will Heat support "bursting" when multi-region is supported?
>    (i.e., auto scaling from the private cloud to the public cloud)

That was not discussed at the Icehouse summit. What is planned is to
allow separate resources in separate regions.

> If these are not prepared in the Icehouse release, is it possible
> in the J-release? Who's interested in these? Will it be able to
> burst into Rackspace cloud or HP cloud using HOT within next year?
>
> We're also considering the development of the related features
> if possible and want to know how to be involved step by step.

I think many people would like a feature like that. The best place to
discuss this would be at the weekly IRC Meeting:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/HeatAgenda