[openstack-dev] Diversity as a requirement for incubation

Sylvain Bauza sylvain.bauza at bull.net
Wed Dec 18 11:04:21 UTC 2013

Le 18/12/2013 11:40, Thierry Carrez a écrit :
> I guess there are 3 options:
>
> 1. Require diversity for incubation, but find ways to bless or recommend
> projects pre-incubation so that this diversity can actually be achieved
>
> 2. Do not require diversity for incubation, but require it for
> graduation, and remove projects from incubation if they fail to attract
> a diverse community
>
> 3. Do not require diversity at incubation time, but at least judge the
> interest of other companies: are they signed up to join in the future ?
> Be ready to drop the project from incubation if that was a fake support
> and the project fails to attract a diverse community
>
> Personally I'm leaning towards (3) at the moment. Thoughts ?

I would vote for (1). FWIW, incubated projects are robust enough to fail
from a resource perspective.
That definitely goes to what an incubated project is : to me, incubated
projects *will* be integrated, but they currently aren't due to some
*technical* (code compliancy, unittesting, frameworks, integration with
other projects) concerns.

If we assess that incubated projects could not part of Openstack one day
or so, that won't help community adoption and/or resources dedication.

2cts,
-Sylvain