[openstack-dev] Incubation Request for Barbican

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Dec 18 10:20:56 UTC 2013

Bhandaru, Malini K wrote:
> Barbican, key manager is essential to openstack, paves the way to greater security.
> Instead of rejecting the project because of its current existence owed so heavily to Rackspace and to John Wood, why not we adopt it, code review, contribute code etc. We can have cores from multiple companies. Swift was a project that was born similarly.
> During development John Wood and the whole Rackspace team has been open to feature design discussions and providing good code review.
>
> Intel plans to create a plugin for Barbican, along the lines of a low cost HSM, essentially using the Intel TXT and the Trusted Platform Module to save a master secret used to encrypt all the other secrets.
> Our Intel team is small and some of us had other distractions in October and November, but we are back and may even grow in strength.
>
> John, Jarret, and team, thank you for all the hard work.

During the TC meeting yesterday it was decided that Barbican should
request a new incubation evaluation once it completes the remaining
technical requirements that were mentioned during the initial incubation
evaluation. That should happen in a few weeks.

As far as the "diversity" requirement is concerned, the TC is actually
divided: some members think it should be a requirement for incubation,
while others think it should be a requirement for graduation to
integrated. The discussion on this is still ongoing (and shall happen in
a separate thread which I'll soon create), but hopefully we'll have a
common view on it by the time Barbican asks for reevaluation.

Regards,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)