[openstack-dev] [Neutron][IPv6] Change I5b2313ff: Create a new attribute for subnets, to store v6 dhcp options

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Tue Dec 17 18:39:14 UTC 2013

On 17 December 2013 18:57, Shixiong Shang <sparkofwisdom.cloud at gmail.com>wrote:

> Yes, the man page is a little bit confusing. The “slaac” mode requires
> “—enable-ra” since it needs to manipulate MOAL bits in the RA. As matter of
> fact, all of the modes available for IPv6 rely on “—enable-ra”.
>
> My understanding is, the ra-names option has nothing to do with RA. It
> resolves the problem of where to find DNS server. It should work with slaac
> mode or ra-stateless mode.

I'm going to reiterate what I said in my comment on that patch and its
blueprint.

1. The patch ties Neutron's parameters specifically to dnsmasq.  It would
be, I think, impossible to reimplement this for isc-dhcpd, for instance.
2. The fact that ra-names is under consideration says that we're thinking
in implementation terms, not API design terms.  dnsmasq isn't a DNS server
in Openstack, so ra-names isn't an appropriate choice in any case.  It's
only in the list because the options on offer are the options dnsmasq
allows, which is the tail wagging the dog.

What we should have is the reverse: first, what do we want from the
interface, and second, what does that imply for the implementation?  I
don't think we need all the modes just because dnsmasq offers them.
--
Ian.