[openstack-dev] [Nova][VMware] Deploy from vCenter template

Arnaud Legendre alegendre at vmware.com
Tue Dec 17 17:58:28 UTC 2013

Hi Qui Xing,

We are planning to address the vCenter template issue by levering the OVF/OVA capabilities.
Kiran's implementation is tied to a specific VC and requires to add Glance properties that are not generic.
For existing templates, the workflow will be:
. generate an *.ova tarball (containing the *.ovf descriptor + *.vmdk stream-optimized) out of the template,
. register the *.ova as a Glance image location (using the VMware Glance driver see bp [1]) or simply upload the *.ova to another Glance store,
. The VMware driver in Nova will be able to consume the *.ova (either through the location or by downloading the content to the cache): see bp [2]. However, for Icehouse, we are not planning to actually consume the *.ovf descriptor (work scheduled for the J/K release).

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/glance/+spec/vmware-datastore-storage-backend
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/vmware-driver-ova-support

If you have questions about [1], please send me an email. For [2], please reach vuil.

Thanks,
Arnaud