[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [Horizon] [Tuskar] [UI] Horizon and Tuskar-UI merge

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Dec 17 08:04:52 UTC 2013

On 12/16/2013 10:32 PM, Jaromir Coufal wrote:

> This is important note. From information architecture and user
> interaction point of view, I don't think it makes sense to keep all the
> three tabs visible together (Project, Admin, Infrastructure). There are
> lot of reasons, but main points:
>
> * Infrastructure itself is undercloud concept running in different
> instance of Horizon.
>
> * Users dealing with deployment and infrastructure management are not
> the users of OpenStack UI / Dashboard. It is different set of users. So
> it doesn't make sense to have giant application, which provides each and
> every possible feature. I think we need to keep focused.
>
> So by default, I would say that there should exist Project + Admin tab
> together or Infrastructure. But never all three together. So when
> Matthias say 'disabled by default', I would mean completely hidden for
> user and if user wants to use Infrastructure management, he can enable
> it in different horizon instance, but it will be the only visible tab
> for him. So it will be sort of separate application, but still running
> on top of Horizon.
>
> -- Jarda

I think the "disabled by default" approach is the wrong one. Instead, we
should have some users with enough credentials that will have the
feature, and others will not.

Also, Horizon is a web interface. Most of its switches could be made
directly in the web interface, with the values stored in a db. That'd be
so much nicer than stored in localsettings.py which starts, as time
passes, to become overly complicated and ugly (it should, by the way, be
a configuration file, not a python script: you can't expect
administrators to understand python, but you do expect them to
understand how to write in a .ini file).

Also, it seems we have a consensus, when is it expected to happen? For
Icehouse b2 maybe?

Just my 2 cents,

Thomas