[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [Tuskar] [UI] Icehouse Requirements - Summary, Milestones

Imre Farkas ifarkas at redhat.com
Mon Dec 16 13:32:36 UTC 2013

On 12/13/2013 05:22 PM, James Slagle wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 03:04:09PM +0100, Imre Farkas wrote:
>>
>> One note to deploy: It's not done only by Heat and Nova. If we
>> expect a fully functional OpenStack installation as a result, we are
>> missing a few steps like creating users, initializing and
>> registering the service endpoints with Keystone. In TripleO this is
>> done by the init-keystone and setup-endpoints scripts. Check devtest
>> for more details: http://docs.openstack.org/developer/tripleo-incubator/devtest_undercloud.html
>
> Excellent point Imre, as the deployment isn't really useable until those steps
> are done.  The link to the overcloud setup steps is actually:
> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/tripleo-incubator/devtest_overcloud.html
> Very similar to what is done for the undercloud.

You are right, that's the correct link for the overcloud setup. However,
I intentionally picked the one for the undercloud because I wanted to
focus on the keystone configuration part and that's the same for the
both (the init-keystone, setup-endpoints and keystone role-create
workflow). There are some other stuff going on in the overcloud setup
(eg. creating a vm for a user) which might distract those who are not
familiar with devtest from what really is needed to deploy OpenStack.
But it would have been better from me to note that the link is not for
the overcloud.

> I think most of that logic could be reimplemented to be done via direct calls
> to the API using the client libs vs using a CLI.  Not sure about
> "keystone-manage pki_setup" though, would need to look into that.

Yeah, we can put big part of the needed configuration steps into Tuskar
as most of it just uses CLI client of Keystone which can be replaced by
using the direct API calls of the same library. The rest might go to
Heat or os-refresh-config or else.

Imre