[openstack-dev] [bugs] definition of triaged

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Mon Dec 16 05:38:46 UTC 2013

On 13/12/13 19:13, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
>> "
>> Confirmed The bug was reproduced or confirmed as a genuine bug
>> Triaged The bug comments contain a full analysis on how to properly
>> fix the issue
>> "
>>
>> From wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Bugs
>>
>> Putting aside the difficulty of complete reproduction sometimes, I
>> don't understand the use of Triaged here.
>>
>> In LP they mean:
>>
>> Confirmed Verified by someone other than the reporter.
>> Triaged     Verified by the bug supervisor.
>>
>> So our meaning is very divergent. I'd like us to consolidate on the
>> standard meaning - which is that the relative priority of having a
>> doctor [developer] attack the problem has been assessed.
>
> I'm the one who established, a long time ago, this divergence between
> Launchpad's classic use of those statuses and OpenStack's. In my
> experience NOBODY ever uses "Confirmed" with the LP meaning, so I
> figured we should use it for something more useful: to describe how
> advanced you are in the resolution of the issue.
>
> This is why I proposed (and we used) the following distinction, as
> described in https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/BugTriage :
>
> "Confirmed" bugs are genuine bugs but nobody really looked into the best
> way to fix them yet. They are confirmed, priority-assigned, tagged
>
> "Triaged" bugs are bugs which are analyzed and have a clear way forward
> to resolve them, just missing someone to actually write the patch
>
> That way developers could pick "ready to fix" bugs by searching
> "Triaged" bugs rather than "Confirmed" ones.
>
>> Specifically:
>>  - we should use Triaged to indicate that:
>>     - we have assigned a priority
>>     - we believe it's a genuine bug
>>     - we have routed[tagged] it to what is probably the right place
>> [vendor driver/low-hanging-fruit etc]
>>  - we should use Incomplete if we aren't sure that its a bug and need
>> the reporter to tell us more to be sure
>>  - triagers shouldn't ever set 'confirmed' - thats reserved solely for
>> end users to tell us that more than one user is encountering the
>> problem.
>
> I can see how that works for Ubuntu. But did you ever see, in OpenStack,
> an end user tell us that they /also encountered/ the problem ?
>
> The end result of your proposal is that we stop using "Confirmed" and
> use "Triaged" instead (to describe the exact same thing). We lose the
> ability to use "Triaged" to indicate a "more analyzed" state. I'm not
> sure that's a net win, or worth asking anyone to change their habits, or
> worth changing the BugTriage wikipage (and/or any other page that
> repeated it).
>
> I'll gladly admit that my meaning of "Triaged" was not used that much
> and that it could be replaced by something more useful. But merely using
> "triaged" for our old meaning of "confirmed" (and stop using
> "confirmed") sounds like change for the sake of change.

Just want to back Thierry here - find the current Triaged/Confirmed
distinction quite useful.

In the documentation case, Triaged often means that there's a note of
which files to edit and/or has text included in the bug or linked to
somewhere that can be used to write the content needed. This exactly
matches with:

> "Triaged" bugs are bugs which are analyzed and have a clear way forward
> to resolve them, just missing someone to actually write the patch

and it appears to be working well for facilitating the "long tail"
contributors, who might just drop by for a patch or two.

Sometimes, we can work out that the issue is real but it might be a
particularly complex fix across multiple books, or need a developer's
input to work out what the actual behaviour should be. These get set as
'confirmed' during the Triage process.

Like others have noted, I've not seen cases where users have marked bugs
as 'confirmed'. Even our tamer in-community operators tend to wait for a
TriagePerson to set it to 'confirmed' - and this is for mere typos in
docs :)

I guess, in short - I'm not sure there's an issue on 'triaged' vs
'confirmed'?

Though, the idea in later emails than this that existing bugs should be
looked at only once or twice a cycle worries me :) I'll leave that for
the more wisened to debate for now ...

Regards,

Tom