[openstack-dev] upgrade Swift to Havana

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Mon Dec 16 04:23:55 UTC 2013

The basic upgrade process for all versions of Swift follow the same basic pattern:

First for storage nodes:
On a single "canary" node:
1) stop background processes
2) upgrade packages
3) restart/reload main processes
4) start background processes

And if everything goes well there, perform the same process on all the nodes in your cluster, probably a zone at a time.

After all storage nodes have been upgraded, it's time to upgrade the proxy servers.

For each proxy, first take it out of the load balancer pool (you can use the /healthcheck "disable_path" feature for this; see http://docs.openstack.org/developer/swift/misc.html#healthcheck). Then, upgrade packages and restart/reload the proxy. Again do this on a "canary" node and then move to the rest of the cluster in an orderly fashion.

Ok, that's general info for anyone wanting to perform an upgrade of a Swift cluster with no downtime to clients. Now to your specific question of Folsom (Swift 1.7.4) to Havana (Swift 1.10.0). As a side note, I'd be remiss if I didn't recommend that you go ahead and upgrade to Swift 1.11.0, released just last week.

I take make an effort to explicitly mention all changes to configs and existing defaults in each release's CHANGELOG entry. See https://github.com/openstack/swift/blob/master/CHANGELOG for full notes on changes between your current version and Swift 1.11 (today's stable version). With a quick glance, I see the following things you need to take into account: proxy_logging is now in the pipeline twice (as of 1.8.0), conf.d style configs are now supported (as of 1.9.0), disk IO threadpools are now used and configurable (as of 1.9.0), pooled memcache connections are now configurable (as of 1.10.0), and proxy log lines were edited in 1.11.0.

I don't see anything that should cause major disruption to upgrade from circa 1.7.4 to 1.11.0. There have been some new configs options added, but sane defaults are used and no existing defaults were changed.

Good luck!

--John