[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Tuskar] Icehouse Requirements

Jay Dobies jason.dobies at redhat.com
Fri Dec 13 14:41:18 UTC 2013

>> * ability to 'preview' changes going to the scheduler
>
> What does this give you? How detailed a preview do you need? What
> information is critical there? Have you seen the proposed designs for
> a heat template preview feature - would that be sufficient?

Will will probably have a better answer to this, but I feel like at very
least this goes back to the psychology point raised earlier (I think in
this thread, but if not, definitely one of the TripleO ones).

A weird parallel is whenever I do a new install of Fedora. I never
accept their default disk partitioning without electing to review/modify
it. Even if I didn't expect to change anything, I want to see what they
are going to give me. And then I compulsively review the summary of what
actual changes will be applied in the follow up screen that's displayed
after I say I'm happy with the layout.

Perhaps that's more a commentary on my own OCD and cynicism that I feel
dirty accepting the magic defaults blindly. I love the idea of anaconda
doing the heavy lifting of figuring out sane defaults for home/root/swap
and so on (similarly, I love the idea of Nova scheduler rationing out
where instances are deployed), but I at least want to know I've seen it
before it happens.

I fully admit to not knowing how common that sort of thing is. I suspect
I'm in the majority of geeks and tame by sys admin standards, but I
honestly don't know. So I acknowledge that my entire argument for the
preview here is based on my own personality.