[openstack-dev] [Nova] Support for Pecan in Nova

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 21:17:00 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Mike Perez <thingee at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10:06 Thu 12 Dec     , Christopher Yeoh wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 8:59 AM, Doug Hellmann
> > <doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com>wrote:
> >
> > So for compatibility testing I think what will probably happen is that
> > we'll be defining a minimum set (API_V3_CORE_EXTENSIONS)
> > that must be implemented and clients can rely on that always being
> present
> > on a compliant cloud. But clients can also then query through /extensions
> > what other functionality (which is backwards compatible with respect to
> > core) may also be present on that specific cloud.
>
> I'm worried by the discrepancies this will create among the programs. You
> mentioned maintainability being a plus for this. I don't think it'll be
> great
> from the deployers perspective when you have one program that thinks
> everything
> is an extension and some of them have to be enabled that the deployer has
> to be
> mindful of, while the rest of the programs consider all extensions to be

Just to be clear, the deployer doesn't have to enable these, they are
enabled automatically,
but it will complain if a deployer attempts to disable them. Also anything
not core has a
"os-" prefix, while core plugins don't so it is easy to distinguish between
them. But yes I'd agree
that from a deployers point of view its not useful to talk about extensions
which have
to be enabled.

Chris