[openstack-dev] Generic question: Any tips for 'keeping up' with the mailing lists?

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Thu Dec 12 16:35:09 UTC 2013

On 12/12/2013 11:23 AM, Justin Hammond wrote:
> I am a developer who is currently having troubles keeping up with the
> mailing list due to volume, and my inability to organize it in my client.
> I am nearly forced to use Outlook 2011 for Mac and I have read and
> attempted to implement
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/MailingListEtiquette but it is still a lot
> to deal with. I read once a topic or wiki page on using X-Topics but I
> have no idea how to set that in outlook (google has told me that the
> feature was removed).
>
> I'm not sure if this is a valid place for this question, but I *am* having
> difficulty as a developer.
>
> Thank you for anyone who takes the time to read this.

The trick is defining what "keeping up" means for you.  I doubt anyone
reads everything.  I certainly don't.

First, I filter all of openstack-dev into its own folder.  I'm sure
others filter more aggressively based on topic, but I don't since I know
I may be interested in threads in any of the topics.  Figure out what
filtering works for you.

I scan subjects for the threads I'd probably be most interested in.
While I'm scanning, I'm first looking for topic tags, like [Nova], then
I read the subject and decide whether I want to dive in and read the
rest.  It happens very quickly, but that's roughly my thought process.

With whatever is left over: mark all as read.  :-)

--
Russell Bryant