[openstack-dev] [qa] [Solum] [tempest] Use of pecan test framework in functional tests

David Kranz dkranz at redhat.com
Tue Dec 10 21:25:33 UTC 2013

On 12/10/2013 04:12 PM, Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 12/10/2013 04:10 PM, Georgy Okrokvertskhov wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In Solum project we are currently creating tests environments for future
>> test. We split unit tests and functional tests in order to use tempest
>> framework from the beginning.
>>
>> Tempest framework assumes that you run your service and test APi
>> endpoints by sending HTTP requests. Solum uses Pecan WSGI framework
>> which has its own test framework based on WebTest. This framework allows
>> to test application without sending actual HTTP traffic. It mocks low
>> level stuff related to transport but keeps all high level WSGI part as
>> it is a real life application\service.
>>
>> There is a question to QA\Tempest teams, what do you think about using
>> pecan test framework in tempest for Pecan based applications?
> I don't think that makes sense.  Then we're not using the code like it
> would be used normally (via HTTP).

+1 There are other projects that do things like this as well in their
unit tests. But Tempest is supposed to test the real API in a blackbox
fashion and protect against unintentional api changes. It is also
proposed to be used with refstack.

And to clarify, Tempest uses REST apis for the api stability tests. The
scenario tests use the official python clients.

  -David